Location: Dublin City University
Level: Systems admin
This position is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications.
The ADAPT Centre is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content technology. It combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, and Dublin Institute of Technology) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 150 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. ADAPT partners are successfully advancing the frontiers of content analysis, machine translation, personalisation, e-learning/education, media technologies and spoken interaction, as well as driving global standards in content technologies.
With €50m in research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry and with ambitious targets for additional new funding under EU H2020 and other programmes, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors to achieve unprecedented engagement among customers, companies and communities.
The ADAPT Centre is seeking to appoint an entry-level Systems Administrator in a role that is suitable to an early-career or recent-graduate Systems Administrator. The successful candidate will report to the senior Systems Administrator and will be involved in both maintaining advanced software platforms and clusters.
The Systems Administrator (SA) will ensure that these systems are maintained to a high level, are reliable, secure and deliver the required performance.
Infrastructure to be administered includes:
- Google apps for business
- two High-performance Computing (HPC) clusters
- one VM and container cluster
- two storage clusters
- VMs on AWS and other hosting providers
- Git servers
- several websites
- supporting infrastructure (DNS, LDAP, reverse proxies…)
The successful candidate will work closely with software developers and researchers to assist with the deployment and maintenance of research prototypes and proofs-of-concept.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help maintain a state-of-the art IT infrastructure, including Virtual Machines and High Performance Computing (mostly based on Debian)
- Based in DCU, you will also support our infrastructure and users in Trinity College Dublin (TCD), remotely and on-site when necessary
- Resolve technical queries and assistance requests from our users
- Work independently on support cases and maintenance tasks
- Collaborate closely with our researchers to better address their requirements
- Monitor our infrastructure and perform correcting actions when alerts or warnings are received
- Activate and manage user accounts
- Learn about all the technologies we are using
- Help with providing training workshops to our users
- At a later stage, help researching and designing tomorrow's IT infrastructure
Candidates appointed to this role should hold either a primary degree in a technical discipline, such as engineering or computer science, or a relevant qualification specifically in Systems Administration.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A personable, friendly approach to all interactions with end-users and fellow team members.
- Familiarity and/or experience with GNU/Linux
- Willingness to quickly acquire practical knowledge on state-of-the-art IT technologies.
- Basic familiarity with setting up Operating Systems and on IT networks.
- Capable of explaining complicated processes and practices to new users clearly and patiently
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently
Closing date: 8th March 2019
Salary scale: €28,365 - €39,490
Informal Queries to: Cliodhna Horan email@example.com. Please include the ADAPT Position Title in all email communications.
Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described below.
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (open Competitions) website at https://www.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/current.shtmlhttps://www.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/current.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 (0) 1 700 5149.
Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by Fax: +353 (0)1 7005500 or by post to; Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. (Tel: +353 1 700 5149)
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Ref 1147 Systems Administrator (Entry-Level)