Location: Trinity College Dublin
Post Title: Start-Up Founder / Entrepreneur / Commercial lead
Duration: approx. 12 months
Salary: Appointment will be made on the Administrative Officer 2 Salary Scale (€48,153 to €56,581 per annum) at a point in line with Government Pay Policy
Hours of Work: 37
Closing Date: 12 Noon (Irish Standard Mean Time), 20th March 2020
For the full Job Description click here
The successful candidate will be expected to take up post on as soon as possible.
The ADAPT Centre at Trinity College Dublin has received funding to hire two start-up founders to spin-out the business start-up Darwin & Goliath http://darwingoliath.com in the field of recommendations-as-a-service.
The currently advertised position is to be filled with a highly self-driven and motivated business developer who will be the commercial lead for the startup and potentially the future CEO of the business when it spins out of the university. The person is expected to work together very closely with the Principal Investigator Prof. Joeran Beel and the recently hired CTO. Both the commercial lead and CTO will be responsible for developing and marketing a recommender-system as-a-service that uses unique machine-learning technology, which is based on the research of Professor Joeran Beel. There is currently a prototype of the system http://darwingoliath.com, which delivers around 1 million recommendations per month to several pilot partners.
The primary task of the commercial lead will be to ensure the business success of the future start-up. This includes working closely with the CTO to shape the product vision and business model, create a marketing strategy, write a business plan, acquire further pilot partners, and ensuring the follow-up funding e.g. through venture capital by the end of the 12 months.
Additional tasks such as business administration (e.g. accounting) may be conducted, too. In general, as the project progresses, the tasks and responsibilities listed may be expanded and shared between the two roles. Both employees will be expected to work as a team and both are responsible for the project success. It is expected that the two hired persons become co- founders of the business-start up after twelve months and receive equity in the company.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to Professor Dr Joeran Beel firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post. The Business Developer / CEO will
- Acquire pilot partners
- Pitch the project to investors and identify promising sources for funding.
- Validate and develop the value proposition and business model
- Do competitor analyses and watch the market
- Attract talent to join the project and future business start-up
- Create an investor-ready business plan
- Attract and supervise internship students and staff
- Perform other duties which will arise from time to time and as directed by the head of the Project.
While it is expected that the person conducts these tasks mostly independent, the final decisions will be made by the PI during the approximately twelve months being hired by Trinity College Dublin.
- Bachelor or Master in Business Administration, Marketing, Management, or a similar field, and a minimum of three years of work experience, ideally in a start-up environment.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent Strategist
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent knowledge in Software as-a-Service products
- Experience in business start-ups
- Very high self-motivation
- Extremely high attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of machine learning / recommender systems a bonus. If such knowledge does not exist, the candidate must demonstrate willingness to gain such knowledge in a short period of time.Large network of potential customers or investors
- Proven track record in raising investor/VC funding
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BY E-RECRUITMENT: http://jobs.tcd.ie