Location: Trinity College Dublin
Post Specification: (SRE-MAP)
Post Title: Senior Research Engineer for Computer Vision Spin-out
Post Status: Specific Purpose Contract – 18 months Full-time
Salary Range: €54,717 to €57,938]per annum.
Closing Date:12 Noon (Irish Standard Time), 14th Feb 2020
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Science Foundation Ireland ADAPT Research Centre (adaptcentre.ie) seeks to appoint a Senior Research Engineer to join a team of researchers in the development of a robust software platform based on research in geolocation of objects using latest techniques in computer vision and machine learning.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team which has been funded by Enterprise Ireland to commercialise research in image processing and GIS for the detection and mapping of assets (https://www.adaptcentre.ie/case-studies/aimapit) emanating from the research of Prof. Rozenn Dahyot (www.scss.tcd.ie/Rozenn.Dahyot). We are searching for an experienced product engineer to help bring this technology to market. As technical lead, you will work be responsible for overseeing AIMapIT’s strategic direction and technical roadmap.
There is significant market interest in the current technology thus the platform being developed will be highly influenced by end users. This unique opportunity addresses challenges in image processing for real world applications in the GIS market. The existing research prototypes will be extended to allow services to be offered via the cloud at Technology Readiness Level 8 – 10. The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years product development experience in an industrial setting and be willing to lead a team in the development of the platform.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Ms Monica Lechea, Office Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Lead the project team in designing and implementing a robust software platform based on existing deep learning prototypes and computer vision techniques for object detection and geolocation of objects in street level imagery under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Increase the Technology Readiness Level of research prototypes to prepare for experimental industrial application.
- Work with ADAPT industry partners to define requirements, troubleshoot issues and conduct demonstrations.
- Report on and present demos of code to relevant stakeholders within ADAPT, Enterprise Ireland and to trial users.
- Work with our end users, partners, and other stakeholders of AIMapIT to develop the roadmap and strategy for this asset mapping system.
- Report on progress at meetings and in writing to ADAPT Centre Management and Enterprise Ireland.
The position is funded through an Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund award whose principal goal is to develop a minimum viable product for the GIS market.
The successful candidate should be proactive, comfortable with high levels of autonomy and able to thrive in uncertain and ambiguous environments. Candidates should be motivated by difficult problems and eager to bring a new product to market.
Candidates appointed to this role must have a BSc. and MSc. in Computer Science / Engineering or similar with product development experience in a commercial setting.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Demonstrated ability to drive the strategic and technical direction of the product.
- Excellent programming skills and modern machine learning frameworks.
- Experience training and deploying machine learning models, with a strong focus on computer vision as well as traditional image processing techniques.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English.
- Experience of high-performance computing facilities.
- Exposure to commercialisation of research.
- Prior startup experience.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
Further Information for Applicant
ADAPT is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital media technology. Led by TCD, it combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, TU Dublin, Maynooth University, Athlone Institute of Technology and Cork Institute of Technology) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 220 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. With €50M in research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing research team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors and drive back the frontiers of future Web engagement.
Full application details are availble here.