Location: Trinity College Dublin
Post duration: Specific Purpose until 30 September 2022.
Salary: €45,942 - €49,049 (commensurate with experience)
Application Deadline: Monday 14th December 2020.
Full application details available HERE
Background to Beyond 2022 Project
June 30th, 2022, marks the centenary of the terrible explosion and fire at the Four Courts, Dublin, which destroyed the Public Record Office of Ireland (PROI) and, with it, seven centuries of Ireland’s collective memories. While incomparable with the loss of human life, the destruction of the Record Treasury at the PROI was one of the great tragedies of the Civil War. Beyond 2022: Ireland's Virtual Record Treasury is an exciting all-island and international research programme to recreate digitally this lost national treasure. Through its innovative and experimental combination of historical research, archival discovery and technical innovation, Beyond 2022 offers a lasting and meaningful legacy from the Decade of Centenaries, democratising access to invaluable records and illuminating seven centuries of Irish history. The aim of Beyond 2022 is to create and launch on 30 June 2022 a Virtual Record Treasury for Irish history—an open-access, virtual reconstruction of the Record Treasury destroyed at the PROI in 1922. Significantly, the Virtual Record Treasury will also provide an innovative enabling framework for connecting archival collections worldwide and rediscovering our collective national memories.
The Senior Research Engineer is the technological lead for Beyond 2022. This is a multifaceted role offering an exciting leadership position within a national legacy project to mark the Decade of Centenaries.
The successful applicant will work with a team guiding and integrating the development of the core technological components of the Beyond 2022 Project. This requires not just an understanding of the technologies being utilised but also a willingness to question and lead in their integration. The successful candidate will oversee the development and implementation of a variety of components including the maintenance and extension of the project core database, the knowledge graph and NLP pipeline. They will also be expected to understand and integrate the work of our information retrieval specialist.
- Excellent database management skills: NoSQL, Graphing Databases, SQL
- Excellent knowledge of one or more of: Java, PHP, node.js
- Experience with web crawling, data wrangling, data analysis would be a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of web application development and security
- Experience in the design and/or delivery of digital humanities projects would also be a distinct advantage.
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments
- Strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the team
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product, technical and research developments
- Understanding and appreciation of website and interface design
- Ability to question, sense-check decisions and to lead.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Understand, interpret and communicate software requirements expressed by colleagues, including Historians and Archivists, and deliver solutions which meet expectations.
- Work with external agencies to define requirements, troubleshoot issues and conduct demonstrations.
- Manage and maintain live deployments of Beyond 2022 web services.
- Have the ability to adapt quickly to new technologies as the project continues.
- Work closely with UI and UX designers in the development of web-based applications.
- Implement and develop unit tests of individual software components to ensure functionality and robustness of software applications.
- Document all work to ensure code is easily understood by peers.
- Applicants must have a primary degree in Computer Science or a related discipline plus four years relevant experience.
- Competitive salary
- Computer and peripherals of your choice
- A fast-paced environment with impactful work
- Day Nursery
- Travel Pass Scheme
- Bike to Work Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Sports Facilities
- 22 days of Annual Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Training & Development
- Staff Discounts