Location: Trinity College Dublin
Salary scale: €22,609 - €30,509
Duration: Until 31 Dec 2020
Closing Date: 31 Jan 2020, 12:00pm IST
Summary of the post
The ADAPT Centre is seeking to appoint an early career Research Systems Administrator. This position is mainly based in TCD and is open to university graduates.
The Research System Administrator (RSA) will be responsible for effective installation, configuration and maintenance of our IT infrastructure. The infrastructure includes two High Performance Computing clusters and one Virtual Machine cluster, hosted in our data centers in TCD and DCU (Dublin City University). The infrastructure runs GNU/Linux, mostly Debian. The SA will ensure that these systems are maintained to a high level, are reliable, secure and deliver the required performance.
The RSA will also provide user support to our researchers and help them to use our infrastructure optimally.
What you will do:
- Help maintaining a state-of-the art IT infrastructure, including Virtual Machines and High Performance Computing (mostly based on Debian)
- Based in TCD, you will also support our infrastructure and users in DCU, remotely and on-site when necessary
- Resolve technical queries and assistance requests from our users
- Work independently on support cases and maintenance tasks
- Monitor our infrastructure and perform correcting actions when alerts or warnings are received
- Activate and manage user accounts
- Learn about all the technologies we are using; some of them are: Docker, Git, OpenNebula, Ceph, HAproxy, Salt
What we are looking for:
- Ability to work independently
- A personable, friendly approach to all interactions with end-users and fellow team members.
- Familiarity and/or experience with GNU/Linux
- Willingness to quickly acquire practical knowledge on state-of-the-art IT technologies.
- Capable of explaining complicated processes and practices to new users clearly and patiently
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Computer science degree (or related discipline)
You will love his job if:
- You are a self-starter, eager to discover and learn
- You have an entrepreneurial, can-do attitude
- You like to tinker with new technologies and to master them
- You have extreme attention to detail
- You like to deep dive into technical issues and to get down to the root causes, using command lines and coding
You will hate this job if:
- You don’t have much patience for details or for people
- You struggle with time management and multitasking
- You expect that technologies and processes get explained to you
- You like to work with graphical interfaces, buttons, apps
- You don’t have patience for debugging
What we offer:
- Awesome opportunity to develop in-demand skills in today's trending IT technologies (VMs, HPC, Docker, Kubernetes, Ceph, etc.)
- Work for a highly respected university, in the middle of the main campus, serviced by shops, restaurants, sports centre, bar, pharmacy, etc.
- Competitive salary, generous annual leave and government pension scheme
- Being a university based research centre we also strongly support continuous professional development and education, including a variety of training courses offered during the year by TCD HR
Further Information for Applicant
ADAPT is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital media technology. Led by TCD, it combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, TU Dublin, Maynooth University, Athlone Institute of Technology and Cork Institute of Technology) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 220 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. With €50M in research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing research team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors and drive back the frontiers of future Web engagement.
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (including email addresses), together with a CV, cover letter (1x A4 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should reference RSA in their email.