Location: Dublin City University
Level: Primary Degree
ADAPT Research Project Officer – Fintech Fusion Fixed term contract to August 31st 2022
The ADAPT Centre is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content technology. It combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, and TU Dublin) with that of its industry partners to produce ground- breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 150 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. ADAPT partners are successfully advancing the frontiers of content analysis, machine translation, personalisation, e-learning/education, media technologies and spoken interaction, as well as driving global standards in content technologies. As part of the ADAPT Centre’s remit, it will also be responsible for the ADAPT research programme as ADAPT is an evolution of the ADAPT Centre.
With €50m in new research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry and with ambitious targets for additional new funding under EU H2020 and other programmes, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors to achieve unprecedented engagement among customers, companies and communities.
We now wish to recruit a Research Project Officer on a fixed term contract basis to facilitate the management of Targeted Industry led research projects primarily in the Fintech Fusion research programme. Working at the boundary of research and industry, the ADAPT Centre targeted research programme is an industry-focused programme where teams of researchers and software developers collaborate with industry partners to work on solutions to industry needs. The Research Project Officer will ensure the successful delivery of multiple, concurrent Targeted Projects to schedule, cost, quality and to funding partners’ expectations. Successful Industry participation is key to the ability of the centre to deliver economic and commercial impact, and to its future sustainability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Working within the Design and Innovation team and the Fintech Fusion Senior Executive Manager in the ADAPT centre and reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Research Project Officer will work closely with our academic and research colleagues to deliver high-impact research driven innovation projects with our industry partners. The Research Project Officer will endeavour to strengthen relationships with Industry Partners and address their business challenges through the identification and application of ADAPT research expertise and through effective project management.
Work closely with and assist industry partners, principal investigator(s), product owner, scrum master(s) and software developer(s) to understand customer requirements and priorities and ensure these are aligned with the research and software development teams’ activities.
Manage a set of concurrent Targeted Projects primarily in the Fintech Fusion research programme as directed by Management.
Working with the Design & Innovation Manager, Senior Project Manager and Targeted Project team, the Research Project Officer will:
- Lead on and mobilise the agreed project methodology with team members and other stakeholders for each project.
- Define and implement the project plan - this includes: project scope definition, work break-down, resource planning, schedule development, budgeting and reporting requirements.
- Drive the execution of the plan, monitor the performance of all aspects of the project,
- Evaluate the performance of all aspects of the project, resolve issues or escalate as required.
- Ensure that all project outputs (including research objectives) are delivered to the established appropriate levels of quality, on time and within budget. Ensure project deliverables are delivered in accordance with the project plan and coherent with the overall project objectives.
- Provide project progression and status reports on all aspects of projects to all key stakeholders and project team members.
- Provide financial status reports of each project.
- Ensure intellectual property assets are managed appropriately – ensuring industry partner confidentiality as needed.
- Assist in driving the innovation pipeline from Platform Research to Targeted Projects while developing the relationship with the Platform Research Management Team.
- Assist the client management function of the ADAPT Centre to ensure industry satisfaction and identification of potential opportunities for future business.
- Candidates appointed to this post must have a degree, ideally in Computer Science, Computer Engineering. Other disciplines, where appropriate may be considered. The successful candidates must have a minimum of 3 years project management experience in a software development environment, or with industry focussed technology research projects ideally, experience in Fintech or Financial Services would be a distinct advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects end to end while identifying and managing risk
- Experience of agile software development methodologies and PMBOK
- Comfortable scaling from short-term, small projects up to multi-disciplinary, 12 months+ projects
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal
- Should possess excellent computer skills with experience of project management and collaboration tools
- Competent in problem solving, supporting creativity, promoting innovative ideas and solutions.
- Experience in assisting and working within distributed teams
- Experience with assisting user trials and/or system performance evaluations
- Familiarity with the scientific evaluation and publication process
- Experience with designing and mobilizing the project management process
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Ability to negotiate access to resources in a matrix-type organisation
- Excellent organisational, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Strong customer facing skills
- Adaptive thinker with broad perspective.
- Professional accreditation(s) in software development or project management methodologies is an advantage.
Salary scales: €48,215 - €58,098*
*Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience will be made on the appropriate point of the salary scale, in line with Government pay policy
Closing date: 10th January 2020
- Applications forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (open Competitions) website at https://www.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/index.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9 Tel: +353 (0) 1 700 5149.
- Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com or by Fax +353 (0) 1 700 5500 or by post to the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Tel: +353 1 700 5149; Fax: +353 1 700 5500 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org