Location: Trinity College Dublin
The Science Foundation Ireland ADAPT Research Centre (adaptcentre.ie) seeks to appoint a Research Engineer to support research and development in the areas of image processing, machine learning and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This is an exciting opportunity for a Research Engineer to work on the Enterprise Ireland funded project ‘AIMapIT’ whose aim is to commercialise research that addresses object detection and mapping in various imaging modalities: street level optical, satellite and Lidar. It is anticipated that this project will result in a start-up company that will spin out from the university with potential to extend beyond the initial 18 months funding horizon. More information about AIMapIT here: https://www.adaptcentre.ie/case-studies/aimapit.
The successful candidate will join a team under the supervision of Prof. Rozenn Dahyot (www.scss.tcd.ie/Rozenn.Dahyot) and will work alongside the best and brightest talent in language technologies, content analytics, data analytics, adaptivity, personalisation, interoperability, translation, localisation and information retrieval in the wider ADAPT Centre. As a university-based research centre, ADAPT also strongly supports continuous professional development and education. In ADAPT you will develop as an engineer, technically and scientifically. In addition, ADAPT will support you to enhance your confidence, leadership skills and communication abilities.
The successful candidate will be required to implement algorithms for multi-modal data management in a system designed to automatically detect and map objects of interest in street level imagery (https://www.adaptcentre.ie/case-studies/aimapit). The goal of this project is to develop a minimum viable product that can be licensed to a commercial entity. There is significant market interest in the current technology thus the platform being developed will be highly influenced by end users. The candidate should have experience in a relevant area of image processing that complements the overall research goals of the Principal Investigator, Prof. Rozenn Dahyot.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Ms Monica Lechea, Office Manager (email@example.com)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Implement data preparation, annotation and visualisation algorithms
- Integrate research prototypes in application frameworks via APIs and web services
- Create data processing pipelines for large volume image data experiments
- Create Virtual Machines/Containers loaded with the necessary software and application dependencies
- Work closely with researchers
- Implement and develop unit tests of individual software components to ensure functionality and robustness of software applications
- Ensure team members are kept up to date with the work that is done
- Document all work to ensure code is easily understood by peers
- Maintain clean code bases
- Raise Technology Readiness Level of research prototypes to prepare for experimental industrial application
- Work with ADAPT industry partners to define requirements, troubleshoot issues and conduct demonstrations
- Report on and present demos of code to relevant stakeholders within ADAPT, Enterprise Ireland and to trial users.
The position is funded through Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund Award hosted by the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) ADAPT Research Centre.
The successful candidate will have broad experience in every aspect of the application development lifecycle. We are looking for someone who codes in multiple languages fluently and takes pride in the quality of their work, someone who ensures their work - and that of their teammates - adheres to good standard practices and proven design patterns. The successful candidate is expected to
- Have experience with visual data processing techniques
- Have expert knowledge of Machine Learning
- Understand all aspects of industrial standard software development
- Have a thorough understanding of, and experience developing web-based applications
- Have extensive experience with Code Repositories
- Be a strong team player
- Candidates appointed to this role must have a Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science or equivalent field with minimum three years industry experience.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
The ideal engineer will have specific expertise in machine learning/deep learning for image processing, and be able to identify how they can contribute to wider research in visual data analytic systems.
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English
- Knowledge of web application development and security
- Expertise in containerisation and cloud platforms
- Knowledge of, and experience with, GIS platforms (QGIS, ArcGIS)
- Fluency in a deep learning platform (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Excellent knowledge of scripting languages: Python, Bash
- Experience with data annotation and general knowledge in ML, data analysis
- Extensive experience with UNIX/Linux and Windows operating systems
- Good command of markup languages and data formats (e.g. XML, JSON)
- Knowledge of one or more of: Java, C/C++, node.js
- Knowledge of mathematical/data analysis languages: Matlab/Octave, R
- Database management skills (SQL/No-SQL): MySQL, MongoDB, CouchDB, Neo4j, SQL
- Understanding of Unit and Regression Testing Frameworks
- Command of Version Control Systems
- Experience of high-performance computing facilities
- Exposure to commercialisation of research
Skills & Competencies
- Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design.
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments.
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product, technical and research developments.
Full details can be found here