Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Primary Degree
The Science Foundation Ireland ADAPT Research Centre (www.adaptcentre.ie), seeks to appoint a Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) Research Engineer to support research in NLP applied to the medical domain. This is an exciting opportunity for a Research Engineer to join a commercialization project which aims to create a new spin-out company that will simplify the medical literature monitoring process for pharmaceutical companies expected to meet regulatory pharmacovigilance requirements determined by regulatory bodies such as the Federal Drug Administration in the US, and European Medicines Agency in the EU.
The successful candidate will work alongside best and brightest talent in language technologies, content analytics, data analytics, adaptivity, personalisation, interoperability, translation, localisation and information retrieval. Being a university-based research centre ADAPT also strongly support continuous professional development and education. In ADAPT you will develop as an engineer, technically and scientifically. In addition, ADAPT will support you to enhance your confidence, leadership skills and communication abilities. Beyond this, the ADAPT Centre aims to promote a culture of inclusivity by supporting a diverse cohort of researchers, academics and students as part of the Centre’s research programme, industry collaboration and social activities.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development of a state-of-the-art research in natural language processing and deep learning to address current shortcomings of the existing manual process of medical literature search. Adverse medical events like medication side effects, mis-use and lack of efficacy are linked with a significant portion of hospital admissions and other poor patient outcomes. This project will focus on applying state-of-the-art NLP methods to efficiently monitor, extract and categorize adverse events from text. Areas of potential applications of this technology include drug safety surveillance, compliance and drug development.
The ideal candidate will have a background in machine learning/deep learning engineering and will be enthusiastic about making contributions to natural language processing in the life sciences domain. Reporting to a Principal Investigator, the successful candidate will work within a group of Postdoctoral Researchers, PhD students and Software Developers, and will have exposure to all aspects of the project lifecycle from requirements analysis to modelling, implementation and demonstrations with potential industry partners.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Monica Lechea (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Implement, evaluate and tune NLP models from relevant literature and the group’s research.
- Collaborate with researchers to help shape the roadmap of experiments and prototype development.
- Integrate research prototypes in application frameworks via tight integration (e.g. APIs) and loose integration (e.g. web services).
- Contribute to the team’s best engineering practices (unit testing, CI/CD, documentation, coding standards, design reviews).
- Raise Technology Readiness Level of our research prototypes to prepare for experimental industrial application.
- Work with ADAPT industry partners to define requirements, troubleshoot issues and conduct demonstrations.
The position is funded through the Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund.
The successful candidate will have a background in machine learning and NLP, and broad exposure to the software development lifecycle. We are looking for a results-oriented engineer who takes pride in the quality of their work, and is eager to see their contributions making a real impact on the market.
- Primary degree or a postgraduate qualification in Computer Science or related discipline with courses in NLP, ML or Deep Learning (desirable).
- General experience in software development for machine learning and/or data intensive applications.
- A minimum of three years academic work/industry experience.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Expert knowledge of, and hands-on experience with NLP and Machine Learning.
- Fluency in Python and a deep learning platform (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Excellent knowledge of cloud platforms and Linux environments.
- Excellent software engineering skills: system analysis and design, testing, CICD, version control.
- Database management skills (SQL/No-SQL): MySQL, MongoDB, SQL.
- Frameworks for web development and APIs.
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English. (essential)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work independently.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product, technical and research developments
Applicants should address how their skills and experience meet the criteria set out above in their cover letter (A4 page). Applicants should reference MLMAI-RE in their email to Monica Lechea (email@example.com)
Full application details can be found here