Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Research Assistant
The ADAPT Centre, the centre for digital content technology, hosted by the School of Computer Science & Statistics is seeking to appoint a Research Assistant. The successful candidate will work on a Text-to-Speech Synthesis (TTS) project for the duration of 1 month under the supervision of Dr. João Cabral. The Research Assistant will be responsible for recording a speech database and preparing a corpus for building a TTS voice. The project will be carried out in close collaboration with industry and it is a unique opportunity to be involved in the production of an innovative voice interaction system. Applicants should have an interest in speech and language technologies and experience in this area would be an advantage.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Ms Monica Lechea, Office Manager (email@example.com)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Prepare voice recordings
- Build speech synthesis corpus using in-house Natural Language Processing tools
- Manage and supervise annotation collection process through crowd-sourcing
- Speech and data processing using appropriate software tools
This position is funded though Enterprise Ireland as part of a first stage Commercialisation Fund.
- Candidates to this position must have a primary degree in Computer Science or related discipline (essential) and a postgraduate qualification (desired).
- Having industry experience and specialisation in one or more of Natural Language Processing, Speech Technology, and Crowd-sourcing data collection would be advantageous for the application
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Experience with audio processing and high-quality studio recording.
- Experience with Web Services and Web standards.
- Excellent programming skills in one or more of: JAVA, Python, C++, C#, PHP, MATLAB.
- Experience working with UNIX, Linux, and/or Windows operating systems.
Desirable (i.e. the following would be advantageous)
- Experience with NLP, signal processing, speech technologies and Machine Learning
- Experience with crowdsourcing platforms, such as Amazon Mechanical Turk
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to work independently but also to collaborate with team members (desirable)
- Strong motivation to learn about new technologies, develop new products and pursue technical developments (essential)
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential)
For further information about the position please click here.
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (including email addresses), together with a cover letter (1x A4 page) explaining why you are suitable for the position, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the reference code: RA_TSS on all correspondence.