Location: Dublin City University
Salary: €48,215 - €58,098 per annum
Duration: 31st December 2020
Closing Date: 27/03/2020
The full Job Description can be found here.
Dublin City University (www.dcu.ie) is a research intensive, globally engaged, dynamic institution which has developed its own research specialists, established internationally recognized centres of excellence that have substantive collaborative links with leading universities and industrial partners. DCU is distinguished both by the quality and impact of its graduates and by its focus on the translation of knowledge into societal and economic benefit. Through its mission to transform lives and societies through education, research and innovation DCU acts as an agent of social, cultural and economic progress. DCU is Ireland’s fastest growing university and now hosts more than 17,000 students across its three academic campuses: DCU Glasnevin Campus, DCU St Patrick’s Campus and CU All hallows campus. DCU has a strong track record in attracting both Irish and European Union research funding under Horizon 2020 (and all previous Framework Programmes), Marie Curie Actions and Erasmus. We offer a dynamic and internationally-focused environment in which to advance your academic career.
ADAPT wish to recruit a Project Co-ordinator on a fixed term contract basis to cover maternity leave and facilitate the coordination of Targeted Industry led research projects. Working at the boundary of research and industry, the ADAPT Centre targeted research programme is an industry-focused programme where teams of researchers and software developers partner with industry partners to work on solutions to industry needs. The Project Manager will ensure the successful delivery of multiple, concurrent Targeted Projects to schedule, cost, quality and to funding partners’ expectations. Successful Industry participation is key to the ability of the centre to deliver economic and commercial impact, and to its future sustainability. Contract duration subject to funding extension beyond December 2020.
Informal enquiries: Informal enquiries should be directed to Clare Conran, Senior Project Manager and Interim Design & Innovation Manager, ADAPT Centre, School of Computing, DCU, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of role
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Project Co-ordinator will endeavour to develop and strengthen relationships with Industry Partners and address their business opportunities through the identification and application of ADAPT research expertise and through effective project management.
- Work closely with and assist industry partners, principal investigator(s), product owner, scrum master(s) and software developer(s) to comprehend requirements and priorities and ensure these are aligned with the research and software development teams’ activities.
- Co-ordinate a set of concurrent Targeted Projects as directed by Management.
- In partnership with the Design & Innovation Manager, Senior Project Manager and Targeted Project team, the Project coordinator will:
- Lead on and mobilise the established project methodology with team members and other stakeholders for each project.
- Define and implement the project plan - this includes: project scope definition, work break-down, resource planning, schedule development, budgeting and reporting requirements.
- Drive the execution of the plan, monitor the performance of all aspects of the project.
- Evaluate the performance of all aspects of the project, resolve issues or escalate as required.
- Ensure that all project outputs (including research objectives) are delivered to the agreed appropriate levels of quality, on time and within budget. Ensure project deliverables are delivered in accordance with the project plan and coherent with the overall project objectives.
- Provide project progression and status reports on all aspects of projects to all key stakeholders and project team members.
- Provide financial status reports of each project.
- Ensure intellectual property assets are managed appropriately – ensuring industry partner confidentiality as needed.
- Assist in driving the innovation pipeline from Platform Research to Targeted Projects while developing the relationship with the Platform Research Management Team.
- Assist the client management function of the ADAPT Centre to ensure industry satisfaction and identification of potential opportunities for future business.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
Candidate appointed to this post must have a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related discipline. The successful candidates must have a minimum of 3 years of project co- ordination experience etc. in a software development environment, or with industry focussed technology research projects
- Experience of traditional and agile software development methodologies.
- Experience in assisting distributed teams.
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), excellent communication and social skills both written and verbal.
- Should possess excellent computer skills with experience of project management and partnership tools.
- Experience with assisting user trials and/or system performance evaluations.
- Familiarity with the scientific evaluation and publication process.
- Experience with designing and mobilizing the project management process.
- Experience of implementing the entire project lifecycle.
- Ability to problem solve, to brainstorm and to generate innovative ideas and solutions
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Professional accreditation(s) in software development or project management methodologies is an advantage.
- Strong customer facing skills
- Ability to negotiate access to resources in a matrix-type organisation
- Excellent organisational, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Adaptive thinker with broad perspective.
Application Procedure: In order to assist the selection process, applicants should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address how the candidate’s skills and experience align with the criteria set out above.
Please click HERE to submit your application.