Location: Trinity College Dublin
The ADAPT Centre, the SFI-funded research centre for digital media technology, is seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow to conduct research in the areas of image processing, machine learning and Geographic Information. Systems (GIS). This is an exciting opportunity for a Post-Doctoral Researcher to work on the Enterprise Ireland funded project ‘AIMapIT’ whose aim is to commercialise research that addresses object detection and mapping in various imaging modalities: street level optical, satellite and Lidar. It is anticipated that this project will result in a start-up company that will spin out from the university with potential to extend beyond the initial 18 months funding horizon. More information about AIMapIT here: https://www.adaptcentre.ie/case-studies/aimapit.
The successful candidate will work alongside the best and brightest talent in language technologies, content analytics, data analytics, adaptivity, personalisation, interoperability, translation, localisation and information retrieval. As a university-based research centre, ADAPT also strongly supports continuous professional development and education. In ADAPT you will develop as an engineer, technically and scientifically. In addition, ADAPT will support you to enhance your confidence, leadership skills and communication abilities.
As a Post-Doctoral researcher in Prof. Dahyot’s team, the successful candidate will work with us to design machine learning models for image classification/segmentation, depth estimation and accurate location of objects in various imaging modalities. This is a unique opportunity to join an expert research group focussed on addressing challenges in image processing for real world applications. The successful candidate will use the latest deep learning techniques, extending or proposing advanced deep learning architectures for image processing and geolocation.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Monica Lechea (email@example.com)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Conduct a specified programme of research to design, implement and train machine learning models for object detection, segmentation and geolocation under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Support the PI and research group in the design, development and implementation of the research programme.
- Work with our users, partners, and other stakeholders of AIMapIT to develop the roadmap and strategy for this asset mapping system.
- Work with colleagues in TCD to manage IP associated with the project.
- Report on progress at meetings and in writing to the PI, ADAPT Centre Management and Enterprise Ireland.
The position is funded through an Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund award whose principal goal is to develop a minimum viable product for the GIS market.
The successful candidate should be proactive, comfortable with high levels of autonomy and able to thrive in uncertain and ambiguous environments. Candidates should be motivated by difficult problems and eager to bring a new product to market.
Candidates appointed to this role must have a PhD in Computer Science/related areas with a focus on image processing
Knowledge & Experience
- A strong record of international peer-reviewed publication and presentation in top-tier conferences (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, PAMI, IJCV, ICIP, TIP, etc).
- Experience with Deep Learning architectures: Pytorch, TensorflowExcellent programming skills in C/C++, Python
- Experience training and deploying machine learning models, with a strong focus on computer vision as well as traditional image processing techniques.
- Ability to undertake independent research.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new products and technical and research developments.
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English. (essential)
- Experience of high-performance computing facilities.
- Exposure to commercialisation of research.
- Prior startup experience.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
In order to assist the selection process, applicants should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address how the candidate’s skills and experience align with the criteria set out above to Monica Lechea (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants should reference RF-MAP in their application.
Full details can be found here.