Location: Dublin City University
Post Status: Fixed-Term Contract up to 16 months
Salary: €47,214 to €51,508
Closing date: Monday 20 May 2020
The ADAPT Centre is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content technology. It combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (including Dublin City University) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations. ADAPT brings together more than 150 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. ADAPT partners are successfully advancing the frontiers of content analysis, machine translation, personalisation, e- learning/education, media technologies and spoken interaction, as well as driving global standards in content technologies. As part of the ADAPT Centre’s remit, it will also be responsible for the ADAPT research programme as ADAPT is an evolution of the ADAPT Centre.
Dublin City University (www.dcu.ie) is a research-intensive, globally-engaged, dynamic institution that is distinguished both by the quality and impact of its graduates and by its focus on the translation of knowledge into societal and economic benefit. Through its mission to transform lives and societies through education, research and innovation, DCU acts as an agent of social, cultural and economic progress. DCU is Ireland’s fastest growing university, and now hosts more than 17,000 students across its three academic campuses: DCU Glasnevin Campus, DCU St Patrick’s Campus and DCU All Hallows campus.
Modern children have become increasingly sedentary with online interactions and screen time replacing physical activity and movement-based ‘play’. The majority of modern children have significant issues with basic movement and coordination skills. The current movement ‘crisis’ has a significant impact on children’s health and cognitive outcomes. MoveAhead Games brings together expertise in motor control, computer science and computer vision to develop movement-based educational games and data collection activities to facilitate real change in movement behaviours. The project aims to support improvements in children’s movement skills through meaningful movement-based human-computer interactions.
We are currently looking for a Java Developer to work on client side of our cutting edge and transformative games for movement and cognitive learning. The successful candidate will report to the System Architect and work closely with the MoveAhead team comprising experts in Computer Science, Motor Control, Business, Education and Design.
Duties and Responsibilities
Please refer to the job description for a full list of duties and responsibilities associated with this role.
- Candidate will hold a minimum of a Degree (NFQ Level 7) in Computer Science or similar field
- Experience in the development and implementation of computer systems and networks
- Solid understanding of programming and coding for large scale cloud computing system
- Familiar with spring boot, database (sql - postgres, hbase or nosql)
- Experience with and understanding of Machine Learning
- Strong analytical, conceptual and troubleshooting abilities
- Strong team player
- Good customer facing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- PhD in Computer Science or similar field
- Previous work experience in a similar role
- Experience in computer vision
- Solid knowledge of information processing fundamentals and best practices
- Experience in Agile software development methodology
- Experience identifying, analyzing and resolving system problems
- Experience conducting technology, trends, standards and products research
- Professional accreditation in software development or project management methodologies
- The post holder will be required to undertake the following mandatory compliance training: GDPR and Compliance. Other training may need to be undertaken.
Informal enquiries to: to Dr Johann Issartel, School of Health & Human Performance or Jamie McGann, ADAPT Centre, Dublin City University, Dublin 9 Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org / Jamie.email@example.com Please do not send applications to the above, instead apply as described below.
- Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies website at https://www.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/current.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Phone +353 (0) 1 700 5149. Please also submit a CV and cover letter. Applications may be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job
- Ref#RF1356 Java Developer, School of Health & Human Performance/ADAPT.