Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Post-Doctoral Researcher
HUMAN+ Fellowship Programme
Up to 9 prestigious Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship Positions available
Living Allowance: €42,061.36
Mobility Allowance: €6,483.57
Family Allowance (if applicable*): €5,402.97
Contract Duration: 2 years
Application Deadline: 26th of March 2021
*Family allowance is subject to eligibility, more details available at www.humanplus.ie
Description of the role:
HUMAN+ is an international and interdisciplinary fellowship programme jointly led by ADAPT, the Science Foundation Ireland Centre for Digital Media Technology & AI and the Trinity Long Room Hub at Trinity College Dublin. The programme is supported by the prestigious European Commission (EC) Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND Action.
HUMAN+ will connect computer science researchers with arts and humanities researchers and enterprise to forge a human-centric approach to technology development allowing for interdisciplinary research, integrating insights from the arts, humanities and computer sciences as well as enterprise.
We want to recruit 9 experienced researchers from a Computer Science and Engineering background for a 2-year post-doctoral programme and unique research and training space that focuses on the development of computing technology with insights informed by the Arts and Humanities.
Successful researchers will work with ADAPT’s renowned Principal Investigators such as Professor Vinny Wade on Conversational AI & Personal Assistant technology to support enhanced education for human learning.
As a direct result of the COVID-19 crisis, we have had to fast forward into a new way of living from virtual meetings to remote working to socialising digitally. Education is similarly being transformed. Classes have moved online and those of us in education have had to address new digital ways of learning that we can integrate with our learners.
One technology that has the potential to impact education in a significant way is in the area of Conversational AI & Digital Personal Assistants. Current state of the art deep learning approaches to conversational assistants typically focus on single-utterance-at-a-time dialogue management and response selection e.g. SIRI, ALEXA. However, next generation digital assistants seek to embed deeper personalization and pedagogic influences in the digital assistant to enhance effectiveness, efficiency and user satisfaction in the dialog interaction. Our research suggests that we need to investigate new techniques for deep machine learning approaches in educational personal assistants and personalisation in order to provide a significant improvement in learning in both the workplace and at home. This research would include areas such as AI and machine learning approaches for user modelling, educational (dialog based) instruction, question & answer systems, social or task based conversational agents, affective and motivational agents.
- Applicants must have a relevant background to the strand of the programme they wish to apply to: Computer Science & Engineering (Strand 2).
- Applicants may be of any nationality and must agree to the programme’s Terms & Conditions.
- Applicants must comply with the Transnational Mobility Rule: at the application deadline, applicants must NOT have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
- Applicants must, at the time of the call deadline, be an Experienced Researcher, i.e. in possession of a doctoral degree or have at least four years of full-time equivalent (FTE) research experience. FTE research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
- Applicants must be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Applicants are required to produce evidence of genuine interdisciplinary experience or interest regarding the scope of the programme.
*Candidates should read the Guide for Applicants and Terms and Conditions available on the HUMAN+ website – www.humanplus.ie
Application Details: Application is via our website (www.humanplus.ie) using our application documents. The first step is to discuss your proposal with a possible Supervisor from Strand 2. For a full list of Supervisors and to reach out directly visit our Supervisors webpage (https://humanplus.ie/people/) or email the Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org who will be happy to direct you.