Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Head of DLAB
Post Status: Specific Purpose Contract (3 years)
Salary: €82,385- €105,632
Closing Date: 12 Noon (GMT), 9th April 2021
Applications will only accepted by via http://jobs.tcd.ie (filter by Competition Type > Management & Administration)
The successful applicant will be expected to take up post as soon as possible.
The ADAPT Centre, (the Centre for Digital Content Technology), hosted by the School of Computer Science & Statistics, is seeking to appoint a full-time Head of Design & Innovation Laboratory on a specific purpose contract with primary responsibility for the development and delivery of collaborative research initiatives with companies of all sizes both in Ireland and internationally. The post, reporting to the ADAPT Executive Director within the Commercialisation team, will lead a team of research programmers, postdoctoral researchers and system programmers to execute targeted industry research projects in collaboration with leading industry partners. A key mandate for the ADAPT Centre is to forge and expand industry partnership and participation with the research programme. As a key member of the ADAPT Commercialisation team, and in close collaboration with the ADAPT Centre Executive Director and ADAPT Centre CEO/Director, the Head of Design & Innovation will manage the development of the Innovation research programme on a day-to-day basis. The successful candidate will manage the Design & Innovation team to ensure the rapid development and delivery of targeted industry research projects. The position will manage a highly skilled group of over 15 research staff and project managers comprising a mix of architecture, software development and design expertise. The Design & Innovation team will be co-located with the core research teams in ADAPT.
The Head of Design & Innovation will be expected to publicly represent ADAPT at a range of industry or commercially-oriented research events, to clearly communicate the multi-disciplinary scientific work being conducted across the ADAPT research programme as well as the economic and societal impact of ADAPT activities. This is a key position to sustain ADAPT’s excellent reputation and leverage scientific expertise to deliver high-quality targeted industry projects in close collaboration with commercial stakeholders and ADAPT academics. The position is also partially responsible for the development of new industry collaboration and funding which must account for 33% of the research funding of the ADAPT Centre (SFI requirement).
This position is based at Trinity College Dublin with regular visits to other research partner sites.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to Declan McKibben, Executive Director (Declan.email@example.com)
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
The post’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The successful candidate will provide leadership for the strategic development, implementation and continuous review of the ADAPT Industry Research Programme
- Ensure the achievement of the primary objective of the ADAPT Industry Collaborative Research strategy by driving beneficial impact for industry through the exploitation of ADAPT's research outputs
- Manage a skilled team of researchers in executing targeted research projects across a range of disciplines and institutions
- Manage the collaboration with over twenty Industry Research partners in the successful execution of diverse targeted projects
- Collaborate with the technology transfer offices across all of ADAPT’s academic partners to coordinate ADAPT Industry Collaborative Research and Innovation Project activities
- In close collaboration with the ADAPT CEO/Director and the Executive Director, the successful candidate will define and manage Key Performance and Management Indicators (KPIs) related to targeted industry research projects activities and ensure that these KPIs are met or exceeded
- Build and strengthen partnerships with existing industry partners or potential industry partners to promote engagement with ADAPT technologies and the impact of ADAPT expertise
- Influence future research activity towards commercially relevant outcomes
- Work with the ADAPT Commercialisation Team to attract and develop new industry partners to engage with the ADAPT research programme and to extend existing partners’ engagement with the programme through follow on projects
- Manage the relationship with the ADAPT Research Strands’ Industry leads
- Participate in industry events and other relevant forums to promote the strategic objectives of ADAPT and maintain a high-level awareness of ADAPT activities and impact
- Work closely with the ADAPT IP Manager in negotiating new partnerships, in developing the ADAPT industry engagement strategy, and in its implementation
This position is funded through the Science Foundation Ireland ADAPT Research Centre.
- Primary degree in Software/Computing with a track record in research commercialisation development. (Essential).
- A postgraduate qualification (Diploma/MSc/PhD) in a relevant subject. (Desirable)
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- At least ten years industry experience in ICT development in the ICT sector.
- At least ten years industry experience in team or project management in the ICT sector.
- Knowledge of and experience with, Business Development in the context of Industry - Academia collaboration and collaborative R&D would be highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of the digital content area is essential, and candidates must have industry experience (>10 years) in technology or technology related disciplines particularly knowledge of two or more of the ADAPT Research areas (e.g. Information Retrieval, Personalisation, Digital Content Management, Natural Language Processing, Machine Translation and Localisation).
- Focused strategic vision for the further development of Industry Collaboration and Innovation activities of the centre. Must be able to work with the Centre CEO/Director and Executive Director in building a long-term vision for Industry Collaboration in the ADAPT Centre.
- Demonstrated track record (over at least ten years) of management of applied research, development and commercialisation management for the ICT environment.
- Proven expertise in the management of applied research and commercial development functions for industry.
- Experience working within a Research Centre in the software ICT sector and particular experience working in the Content and Application sectors of ICT.
- Ability to translate the Industry Collaboration vision into a set of instruments, and to implement, evaluate and review the resulting programmes.
- Ability to decide on the appropriate action, issue directives and monitor subsequent performance. Use dynamic and measured judgment where appropriate.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong leadership style and the ability to influence individuals at all levels.
- A willingness to innovate and implement change.
- Dynamic self-starter with significant experience working with senior commercial stakeholders and with government agencies worldwide.
- Excellent leadership skills with an ability to lead and manage a multidisciplinary team to achieve excellent performance to agreed KPIs
- Motivated with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, working under time constraints and strict deadlines while maintaining high levels of accuracy coupled with a good eye for detail.
- Extensive project management expertise gained through wide experience
- Possess excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to assimilate and analyse information quickly and accurately and to think strategically under pressure, formulate decisions and make recommendations, often to tight deadlines.
- Ability to anticipate and deal with problems as they arise / ability to identify a problem and propose solutions.
- Broad experience of diverse functions or sub-functions within organisations including commercial, research & development, product and service development and marketing.
- In order to assist the selection process, applicants should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address the following points in their application.
- Candidates must have at least 10 years of experience in ICT. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application.
- An understanding of Business Development processes for ICT focused organisations is essential. The applicant should give examples of involvement in Business Development for ICT focused organisations and what the applicant learned from the process.
- Candidates must demonstrate their capacity to manage the collaboration with over twenty Industry Research partners in the successful execution of diverse targeted projects