Location: Dublin City University
Level: Primary Degree
Post Title: Research Project Officer
Post Duration: Fixed Term Contract up to 31st August 2022
Salary Scale: €49,316 - €66,690* (Grade V.II)
Closing date: June 17th 2020
Dublin City University (www.dcu.ie) is a research intensive, globally engaged, dynamic institution which has developed its own research specialists, established internationally recognized centres of excellence that have substantive collaborative links with leading universities and industrial partners. DCU is distinguished both by the quality and impact of its graduates and by its focus on the translation of knowledge into societal and economic benefit. Through its mission to transform lives and societies through education, research and innovation DCU acts as an agent of social, cultural and economic progress. DCU is Ireland’s fastest growing university and now hosts more than 17,000 students across its three academic campuses: DCU Glasnevin Campus, DCU St Patrick’s Campus and CU All hallows campus. DCU has a strong track record in attracting both Irish and European Union research funding under Horizon 2020 (and all previous Framework Programmes), Marie Curie Actions and Erasmus. We offer a dynamic and internationally-focused environment in which to advance your academic career.
The ADAPT Centre, a world-leading SFI Centre, is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content technology funded through Science Foundation Ireland’s Centres programme. ADAPT combines the expertise of over 300 researchers across seven Higher-Education Institutes (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, Technological University Dublin, Cork institute of Technology, Athlone Institute of Technology and Maynooth University) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations. The ADAPT Centre executive function is co-hosted between Trinity College Dublin and Dublin City University. ADAPT brings together more than 250 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. ADAPT partners are successfully advancing the frontiers of Artificial Intelligence (AI), content analysis, machine translation, personalisation, e-learning/education, media technologies, virtual and augmented reality, and spoken interaction, as well as driving global standards in content technologies.
The goal of FinTech Fusion is to strengthen the international competitiveness of the Irish Financial Services Industry through the production of new results from cutting edge Financial Technology research. The research will be led by the ADAPT Centre and includes researchers from two other existing SFI research centres, Insight and Lero, along with industry collaborators.
Working within the Design and Innovation team and with the Fintech Fusion Senior Executive Manager in the ADAPT centre and reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Research Project Officer will work closely with our academic and research colleagues to deliver high-impact research driven innovation projects with our industry partners. The Research Project Officer will proactively nurture and strengthen relationships with Industry Partners and address their business challenges through the identification and application of ADAPT research expertise and through effective project management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with and support industry partners, principal investigator(s), product owner, scrum master(s) and software developer(s) to understand customer requirements and priorities and ensure these are aligned with the research and software development teams’ activities.
- Participate in proposal workshops to support the academic and commercial team and to capture outputs.
- Support and contribute to the preparation of collaborative research proposals, including, but not limited to, drafting the research approach with academic colleagues and industry partners.
- Apply expert knowledge and strategic awareness to identify and promote potential areas of multi-disciplinary partnership.
- Manage a set of concurrent Targeted Projects primarily in the Fintech Fusion research programme as directed by Management.
In partnership with the Design & Innovation Manager, Senior Project Manager and Targeted Project team, the Research Project Officer will:
- Lead on and mobilise the concurred project methodology with team members and other stakeholders for each project.
- Define and implement the project plan - this includes: project scope definition, work break-down, resource planning, schedule development, budgeting and reporting requirements.
- Drive the execution of the plan, monitor the performance of all aspects of the project,
- Evaluate the performance of all aspects of the project, resolve issues or escalate as required.
- Ensure that all project outputs and research objectives are delivered to the concurred appropriate levels of quality, on time and within budget. Ensure project deliverables are delivered in accordance with the project plan and coherent with the overall project objectives.
- Provide project progression and status reports on all aspects of projects to all key stakeholders and project team members.
- Provide financial status reports of each project.
- Monitor, collate and report on industry in-kind contributions to the research.
- Support the IP and contracts manager in the identification and reporting of background and foreground IP
- Protect and maintain client confidentiality at all times
- Represent Fintech Fusion at appropriate meetings, conferences and working groups.
- Assist in driving the innovation pipeline from Platform Research to Targeted Projects while developing and nurturing the relationship with the Platform Research Management Team.
- Identify publication opportunities in top tier academic journals and actively contribute to research publications emanating from collaborative research projects.
- Support the client management function of the ADAPT Centre and FinTech Fusion to ensure industry satisfaction and to identify potential opportunities for future business.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills required:
This position is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- A primary degree, ideally in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent. Other disciplines, where appropriate, may be considered.
- A minimum of 3 years’ project management experience in a software development environment, or with industry focussed technology research projects.
- Additional experience in Fintech or Financial Services would be a distinct advantage.
- Excellent social & I.T. skills, and a demonstrative ability to build relationships and positive rapport with industry partners, colleagues and all other stakeholders.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects end to end while identifying and managing risk
- Experience of agile software development methodologies and PMBOK
- Comfortable scaling from short-term, small projects up to multi-disciplinary, 12 months+ projects
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential), excellent communication and social skills both written and verbal
- Should possess excellent computer skills with experience of project management and collaboration tools
- Ability to problem solve, assist creativity, promote innovative ideas and solutions
- Experience in assisting and working within distributed teams
- Experience with assisting user trials and/or system performance evaluations
- Familiarity with the scientific evaluation and publication process
- Experience with designing and mobilising the project management process
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Ability to negotiate access to resources in a matrix-type organisation
- Excellent organisational, communication and conflict resolution skills
- Strong customer facing skills
- Adaptive thinker with broad perspective.
- Professional accreditation(s) in software development or project management methodologies is an advantage.
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (open Competitions) website at http://www.dcu.ie/vacancies/current.shtml.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail with your completed application form to email@example.com
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Ref#RF1364 Fintech Research Project Officer
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting gender equality reflected in its attainment of the Athena SWAN Bronze Award. Information on a range of university policies aimed at creating a supportive and flexible work environment are available