Location: Trinity College Dublin
• FinTech Fusion will encourage breakthroughs in payment (PayTech), regulation (RegTech) and insurance (InsureTech) technologies by accelerating scientific progress and enabling data-driven research. The rapid advancements in Artificial Intelligence, mobile applications, cloud computing, Big Data analytics and distributed ledger technology such as Blockchain has demanded organisations change in order to remain competitive. The research programme will address how financial technology is disrupting and transforming businesses from financial institutions to technology companies, along with the retail and wholesale financial sector, and lead on innovations that are capable of creating significant change in financial services, on a global scale.
• The post of Senior Executive Manager is a crucial post that executes the business development and operational leadership responsibilities of the FinTech Fusion programme. The duties include: business development to recruit co-funding industry partners; personnel recruitment and training; financial management of €5Million income streams (€2M exchequer funding , €2M industry cash income and industry in-kind); external communications and marketing; managing relationships with SFI and other collaborating agencies (IDA, Enterprise Ireland, NSAI etc), and resolving contractual, intellectual property and research performance issues with and between TCD and other academic partners, DCU, UCD, DIT, UL and NUIG.
• The post requires a high level of leadership by someone able to think strategically, communicate and negotiate at a senior industrial and institutional level, bring a breadth of expertise and offer highly experienced, organised and motivated leadership to the FinTech Fusion programme. Business development and commercial funding partner recruitment and retention experience, coupled with knowledge of research processes are key.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to by e-mail to: Dr Liam Cronin, Associate Director Commercialisation, (email@example.com).
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
• Strategy: Support the Director in the strategic planning process of FinTech Fusion and oversee the implementation of the strategic plan to ensure key objectives are met and the strategic impact of FinTech Fusion enhanced. Represent FinTech Fusion nationally and internationally, advocating for the Institutes and the PIs.
• Industry Partner Acquisition Engagement: The appointee will engage with potential industrial partners to promote the FinTech Fusion strategic scientific approach so as to establish co-funding research partnerships between industry and ADAPT’s academic cohort. They will manage a commercial co-funding partner pipeline to deliver on client acquisition, research co-funding revenue and financial sustainability targets. The pipeline spans activities from generating and qualifying industry partner leads, to negotiating and signing research funding contracts and then ensuring their timely and high quality delivery. They will report to the Fintech Fusion and ADAPT directors on pipeline performance and will lead the planning and implementation of improvements as needed.
• Financial Control: Have overall responsibility for planning and implementing the financial sustainability strategy of FinTech Fusion, controlling a budget of more than €5m over the duration of the programme. Plan and track the resulting distribution and use of significant budgets across the six institutions that are part of programme.
• Reporting: Lead the collection and preparation of quarterly and annual reports to the ADAPT, Insight and Lero Boards and funding agencies, assembling state-aid compliant industry in-kind contribution records, ensuring EU guidelines are followed, managing of any audits that may be requested, providing any financial analysis that is regularly requested from funding agencies and other bodies, forecasting of expenditures, providing budgetary inputs for new funding bids, and negotiating redistribution of funds when appropriate and remodelling of budgets when necessary.
• Communications: Manage and ensure full support from the ADAPT Commercialisation team (Associate Director Commercialisation, IP Manager, Marketing Manager, Design & Innovations Manager) for maximum industry partner participation. Work closely with the University IP Managers in negotiating new partnerships, in developing the FinTech Fusion commercialisation strategy, and in its implementation.
FinTech Fusion is an evolving entity and it is often faced with new opportunities and challenges. Hence other duties will arise to which the Senior Executive Manager must be anticipative, flexible and responsive.
This post is funded through Science Foundation Ireland’s Fixed Spokes Programme 2018.
• While a relevant business or technology related qualification is desirable, a proven track record in securing industry partner funding will be prioritised.
• Experience in team leadership, managing multi-partner relationships and strategic planning toward financial and research performance targets is important.
• Technology background experience would be a distinct advantage; particularly with experience in one or more of the FinTech Fusion research areas (e.g. Blockchain, Information Retrieval, Personalisation, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data/Knowledge Management).
• Candidates appointed to this post should have a post-graduate qualification in business or technology related business, preferably in aspects of business development.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
• The successful candidate must have a proven track record (7 years+) of strategic planning and successful execution in business development, acquisition of co-funding industry partners, and marketing in a commercial ICT environment, ideally in an international context. They must also have firm knowledge and experience of the research function in the industry and academic sectors. (Essential)
• Significant experience of managing and motivating a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary and cross-organisational team on the scale of FinTech Fusion to deliver on strategy, goals and objectives as well as line management experience of operational staff. (Desirable)
• Excellent detail-orientated organizer and negotiator, with positive energy, accountability, strong customer focus, and high degree of resourcefulness. (Desirable)
Skills & Competencies
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including high-level competency in oral presentation and report writing to R&D leaders/directors in industry and academia.
• Proven ability to prioritize workload and work to exacting deadlines.
• Flexible and adaptable in responding to and mobilising team action to address changing stakeholder needs.
• Possess excellent computer and organisational skills, and the ability to anticipate problems, innovate and deliver solutions.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work on their own initiative.
In order to assist the selection process, candidates should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address the following points in their application.
• Experience of working in an organization of the scale and complexity of FinTech Fusion is essential. The applicant should describe the management and leadership challenges they have faced in working in such environments and give examples of their strategies for addressing these challenges.
• At least 7 years’ postgraduate experience in industry client acquisition and an understanding of the Commercialisation process is essential. The applicant should give examples of their personal impact in innovation management and industry partner acquisition pipeline management.
• Experience of research-driven innovation processes is essential. The applicant should give examples of roles in innovation implementation and what the applicant learned from the process.
• The applicant should have a track record of successful funding applications on the scale and multi-partner/sector complexity of FinTech Fusion. The applicant should give examples of the role played in shaping the strategic direction and consortium make-up these applications.
• Candidates who do not address the application requirements above in their cover letter will not be considered at the short list stage.
• Candidates should note that the interview process for this appointment may include the delivery of a presentation and may include a test of practical skills.
Further Information for Applicants
URL Link to Area: https://www.adaptcentre.ie/
URL Link to Human Resources: https://www.tcd.ie/hr/