(Fixed Term Contract to December 2020)
The ADAPT Centre is Ireland’s global centre of excellence for digital content technology. It combines the expertise of researchers at four universities (Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin, and Technological University Dublin) with that of its industry partners to produce ground-breaking digital content innovations.
ADAPT brings together more than 150 researchers who collectively have won more than €100m in funding and have a strong track record of transferring world-leading research and innovations to more than 140 companies. ADAPT partners are successfully advancing the frontiers of content analysis, machine translation, personalisation, e-learning/education, media technologies and spoken interaction, as well as driving global standards in content technologies.
With €50m in research funding from Science Foundation Ireland and industry and with ambitious targets for additional new funding under EU H2020 and other programmes, ADAPT is seeking talented individuals to join its growing team. Our research and technologies will continue to help businesses in all sectors to achieve unprecedented engagement among customers, companies and communities.
The ADAPT Centre is seeking to appoint a Business Development Manager responsible for attracting and evaluating potential industry partners for the ADAPT Centre. ADAPT is looking for a candidate who is strong in lead generation and really diligent in bringing these leads through the pipeline to cash in bank. The role requires a completer / finisher mindset to attract new industry partners to engage with the ADAPT research programme, through outbound sales activity and personal network development and then manage a sales pipeline to deliver on client acquisition targets, revenue and profitability expectations. The ideal candidate will have experience in leading and driving the entire sales cycle, leveraging repeatable offerings that maximize revenue/market share/consumption opportunities and increase customer satisfaction. A tenacious passion to "seal the deal" with Industry partners delivering Impact for ADAPT and the Industry Partner, achieving and exceeding sales targets is key to long-term success in the role. The appointee will engage with potential industrial partners, explain ADAPT’s strategic scientific approach and work within a broader commercial team to build partnership between industrial entities and ADAPT’s academic cohort. Sales experience, business development experience, coupled with knowledge of research cultures is important.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attract and develop new industry partners to engage with the ADAPT research programme, through outbound sales activity and personal network development
- Achieve and exceed sales targets. Manage a sales pipeline to deliver on client acquisition targets, revenue and profitability expectations
- Generate and qualify optimum leads. Identify optimum leads and the key contacts in target organisations, converting them to opportunities
- Educate the contact on the merits of ADAPT Research Centre research. Report on sales performance. Accurately track sales activity and deal progress. Formally and informally keep all stakeholders abreast of progress towards targets and milestones
- Manage and ensure full support from the ADAPT Commercialisation team (Associate Director Commercialisation, IP Manager, Marketing Manager, Design & Innovations Manager) for maximum industry partner participation and engagement in ADAPT activities
- Participate in industry events and other relevant forums to promote the strategic objectives of ADAPT and maintain a high-level awareness of ADAPT activities and impact
- Work closely with the ADAPT IP Manager in negotiating new partnerships, in developing the ADAPT commercialisation strategy, and in its implementation
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Candidates appointed to this post must hold a primary degree and ideally a post-graduate qualification in business or technology related business, preferably in aspects of business development. Candidates should have 10+ years’ professional experience to include experience in senior commercial/ academic business development roles with strategic planning, sales, marketing and team management responsibilities in a commercial ICT environment and ideally in an international context. A proven track record in a senior and quota bearing Sales or Business Development role in a B2B environment and a track record of growing a sales channel via new business acquisition is essential.
A technology background would provide a distinct advantage; particularly with experience in one or more of the ADAPT research areas (e.g. Information Retrieval, Personalisation, Digital Content Management, Natural Language Processing, Machine Translation, Machine Learning and Localisation, Data/Knowledge Management). The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the development of, and implementing, the Centre’s business development strategy and achieving its business development goals and objectives.
The successful candidate must have:
- Excellent people management, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer and organisational skills, and the ability to anticipate problems, innovate and deliver solutions
- Proven ability to prioritize workload and work to exacting deadlines
- A flexible and adaptable approach to responding to stakeholder needs
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and the ability to work on their own initiative and resolve problems
- An understanding of the innovation implementation process is essential.
- Ability to work effectively with staff and management across all levels, both internally and externally, and have excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal/communication skills
- Experience in communicating with, and influencing, people at senior level especially senior particularly academic staff and senior external stakeholders
- Excellent detail-orientated organizer and negotiator, with positive energy, accountability, strong customer focus, and high degree of resourcefulness
- Demonstrated knowledge of good management practices and standards
- A high desire to achieve and to win in sales - focusing on results, not purely activity
Desirable Experience and Knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of the research function in the industry and academic sectors
- Experience in managing and coordinating funding/revenue generation and project acquisition through industry, and/or national and international funding agency collaboration
- Knowledge and understanding of the ICT sector and its requirements going forward and therefore the relevance of the centre’s research agenda
- Experience in managing strategic relationships and alliance with other, third-party companies
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams with multiple stakeholders
Closing date: 8th May 2019, Salary scale: *€56,443 - €89,840
*Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will be made on the appropriate point of the salary scales, in line with current Government pay policy.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Paraic Sheridan, Associate Director (Operations), ADAPT Paraic.email@example.com. Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line. Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described below.
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (Open Competitions) website at http://www4.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/current.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 (0)1 700 5149; Fax +353 (0)1 700 5500 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com or by Fax: +353 (0)1 700 5500 or by post to the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Along with the application form, please submit a Cover Letter and a CV (maximum 2-3 pages).
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Reference #RF1210 Business Development Manager, ADAPT
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer