Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Business Development Manager
The ADAPT Centre for digital content technology, hosted by the School of Computer Science & Statistics, is seeking to appoint a Business Development Manager. This post is responsible for attracting and evaluating potential industrial partners for the ADAPT Centre. The ADAPT Centre has five industrial research areas (spokes) which are driven by commercial requirements of companies
The appointee will engage with potential industrial partners, explain ADAPT’s strategic scientific approach and work within a broader commercial team to build partnership between industrial entities and ADAPT’s academic cohort. Sales experience, business development experience, coupled with a knowledge of research cultures is important
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Attract and develop new industry partners to engage with the ADAPT research programme, through outbound sales activity and personal network development
- Achieve and exceed sales targets. Manage a sales pipeline to deliver on client acquisition targets, revenue and profitability expectations
- Generate and qualify optimum leads. Identify optimum leads and the key contacts in target organisations, converting them to opportunities
- Educate the contact on the merits of ADAPT Research Centre research. Report on sales performance. Accurately track sales activity and deal progress. Formally and informally keep all stakeholders abreast of progress towards targets and milestones
- Manage and Ensure full support from the ADAPT Commercialisation team (Associate Director Commercialisation, IP Manager, Marketing Manager, Design & Innovations Manager) for maximum industry partner participation and engagement in ADAPT activities
- Participate in industry events and other relevant forums to promote the strategic objectives of ADAPT and maintain a high-level awareness of ADAPT activities and impact
- Work closely with the ADAPT IP Manager in negotiating new partnerships, in developing the ADAPT commercialisation strategy, and in its implementation
- This position is funded through the Science Foundation Ireland ADAPT Research Centre
- While a relevant business or technology related qualification is desirable, a proven track record in quota bearing sales roles will be prioritised
- Technology background experience would be a distinct advantage; particularly with experience in one or more of the ADAPT research areas (e.g. Information Retrieval, Personalisation, Digital Content Management, Natural Language Processing, Machine Translation, Machine Learning and Localisation, Data/Knowledge Management)
- Candidates appointed to this post should have a post-graduate qualification in business or technology related business, preferably in aspects of business development
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent detail-orientated organizer and negotiator, with positive energy, accountability, strong customer focus, and high degree of resourcefulness. (essential)
- Proven track record in a senior and quota bearing Sales or Business Development role in a B2B environment. A track record of growing a sales channel via new business acquisition (desirable)
- The successful candidate should have a proven track record (5 years+) of strategic planning and successful execution in business development, sales, and marketing in a commercial ICT environment, ideally in an international context. They should also have firm knowledge and experience of the research function in the industry and academic sectors. (desirable)
Skills & Competencies
- Focus on results, not purely activity. Have a high desire to achieve and to win in sales
- Candidates must have at least 5 years of experience in sales. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal
- Should possess excellent computer and organisational skills, and the ability to anticipate problems, innovate and deliver solutions
- Proven ability to prioritize workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and Illustrate, through past examples, their ability to work on their own initiative and resolve problems
- An understanding of the innovation process is essential. The applicant should give examples of involvement in innovation implementation and what the applicant learned from the process
In order to assist the selection process, candidates should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address the following points in their application.
- Candidates must have at 5 years’ experience in sales. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application.
- An understanding of the Commercialisation process is essential. The applicant should give examples of involvement in innovation management and sales pipeline management in terms of what the applicant learned from the process.
- Illustrate, through past example, their ability to work on their own initiative and resolve problems.
- Applicants who do not address the application requirements above in their cover letter will not be considered at the short list stage.
- Applicants should note that the interview process for this appointment may include the delivery of a presentation and may include a test of practical skills.
Closing Date: 27 November 2018