Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Bachelors or Masters in Business Administration,
The ADAPT Centre at Trinity College Dublin has received funding to hire two start-up founders to spin-out the business start-up Darwin & Goliath http://darwingoliath.com in the field of recommendations-as-a-service.
The currently advertised position is to be filled with a business manager, business administrator, or marketing expert who will be the future CEO of the business start-up. The person is expected to work together very closely with Principal Investigator and the soon to be hired software architect / machine learning engineer and future CTO. Both hires will be responsible for developing and marketing a recommender-system as-a-service that uses unique machine-learning technology, which is based on the research of Professor Joeran Beel who is the project lead. There is currently a prototype of the system http://darwingoliath.com, which delivers around 1 million recommendations per month to several pilot partners.
The primary task will be to ensure the business success of the start-up. This includes working closely with the PI to shape the product vision and business model, create a marketing strategy, write a business plan, acquire further pilot partners and customers, and ensuring the funding e.g. through venture capital by the end of the 12 months. Additional tasks such as intern supervision and business administration (e.g. accounting) may be conducted, too. In general, as the project progresses, the tasks and responsibilities listed may be expanded and shared between the two employees. Both employees will be expected to work as a team and both are responsible for the project success.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made to Professor Dr Joeran Beel firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
Under the direction of the PI the Business Administrator will
- Participate in business plan contests, pitch the project to investors, and identify promising sources for funding.
- Acquire pilot partners
- Create a business model
- Do competitor analyses and watch the market
- Attract talent and manage the HR process (after 12 months)
- Write a business plan
- Attract and supervise internship students and staff
- Perform other duties which will arise from time to time and as directed by the head of the Project.
- Bachelors or Masters in Business Administration, or a similar field, and a minimum of three years of work experience.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent Strategist
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Excellent management skills
- Good product knowledge in recommender systems, as-a-service products, and machine learning
- Very high self-motivation
- Extremely high attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in business start-ups
- Large network of potential customers
Skills & Competencies
- Organisational Ability; Excellent organisational and task management skills together with the ability to work on a number of tasks simultaneously. Have the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; be capable of working on own initiative and work under time constraints; Be enthusiastic, flexible and willing to work outside usual office hours when required; Ability to develop creative solutions to multi-faceted problems
- Conscientious; Have a pro-active approach to work, anticipating and resolving problems in advance; Attention to detail, from anticipating and addressing issues in advance to understanding requests and delivering quality work with minimal errors
- Customer Focus: customer service skills are essential. Demonstrate emotional intelligence and communicate with a high level of initiative, tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Flexibility: Can operate flexibly within a busy work environment; can shift focus when required; assist beyond normal work hours when a need arises; be able to undertake other duties as necessary
- Team Worker: Ability to operate effectively as part of a team – tolerant, cordial and willing to help others, shares work and information; establishes rapport with others can influence and develop effective networks;
- Motivated: Displays a ‘can-do’ attitude, is committed to the Centre and wishes to contribute to its development; a clear demonstration of enthusiasm and passion for the role. An ability to motivate others in terms of making applications to funders.
In order to assist the selection process, applicants should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) via jobs.tcd.ie that specifically address the following points in their application.
- Applicants must have relevant industry experience. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application.
- Illustrate, through past example, their ability to work on their own initiative and resolve problems.
Full details are available here