Location: Trinity College Dublin
Level: Executive Director
Executive Director with focus on Commercial & Industry Management
Salary: €117,915 to €151,477 per annum
Closing Date: 12 Noon (GMT) 3rd March 2020
The full Job Description can be found here.
The successful candidate will be expected to take up post as soon as possible.
The ADAPT Centre, the centre for digital media technology, hosted by the School of Computer Science & Statistics, is seeking to appoint an Executive Director who will drive the mission, vision, culture and strategic objectives of ADAPT and FinTech SPOKE initiative and implementation of the strategies developed. The Executive Director will foster an environment of research excellence and impact where innovation can flourish and enhance the brand and identity of ADAPT. The Executive Director will have responsibilities for leading and managing the effectiveness of the all industry research collaboration, innovation, commercialisation, industry related finance & operations and business development activities appropriate for ADAPT’s scale (with over €100 M) and complexity.
Key deliverables in the role will include:
- Developing strategies for enabling the long-term sustainability of the Centre and delivering ADAPT National and International mandate
- Working with necessary internal and university management and administrative teams to ensure the efficient operation of ADAPT
- Delivering increased industry engagement with committed industry partners and further develop industry to provide a platform for long-term growth
This position has key responsibilities for ensuring the sustainability and growth of Industry/ Academic research collaboration, industry funding and commercialisation activities and managing risks regarding the attraction of industry funding across multiple industries over multiple years. This position is responsible for developing ADAPT’s economic impact by developing its industry funding strategy, developing new industry involvement, realising licencing opportunities and directing the ADAPT spinout/commercialisation pipeline. The post will be responsible for managing the commercialisation team, including an IP Manager, Marketing Manager, Commercialisation Development and Design & Innovation Laboratory. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for all industry engagement, both new and existing, with the position being a key member of the ADAPT executive management team, working across all the ADAPT Centre partner institutions.
The Executive Director will be employed by Trinity and will be based primarily in the ADAPT Centre offices in Trinity. The Executive Director will be a key member of the ADAPT Centre Executive team and will report to the ADAPT Centre (Academic) CEO, ADAPT Governance Board and SFI Director of Research Centres. As ADAPT is a collaborative research centre, the position will involve leadership of the collaborative ADAPT partners (e.g. DCU which co-host part of the industry and commercialisation teams). Further to this, the successful candidate is expected to devote 10% of their time to international travel on behalf of ADAPT.
Informal enquiries about this post should be made by e-mail to: Professor Vinny Wade, email@example.com and Ms Monica Lechea (administrative contact), firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Work with the ADAPT (Academic) CEO to develop and enhance the strategic vision, and business planning impact of the ADAPT Centre and to ensure delivery of its stated objectives, with specific business development references to industry engagement and commercialisation.
- Manage and develop industry relationships for ADAPT, deliver increased industry engagement with committed industry partners and further develop industry to provide a platform for long-term growth (ambitious target of 14 million for ADAPT I and 32 million for ADAPT II)
- With the (Academic) CEO, provide leadership for the Institute with specific personal responsibility for managing a large commercialisation team, including an IP Manager, Marketing Manager, Commercialisation Development and Design & Innovation Laboratory (~30 research engineers, project managers, team managers)
- Develop ADAPT’s economic impact by developing its industry funding strategy, developing new industry involvement, realising licensing opportunities and directing the ADAPT spinout/commercialisation pipeline
- Develop industry funding strategy, develop new industry involvement, realise licencing opportunities and direct the ADAPT spinout/commercialisation pipeline
- Direct responsibility for all industry engagement, both new and existing, with the position being a key member of the ADAPT executive management team, working across all the ADAPT Centre partner institutions
- Acting as Executive Director for SFI funded research ADAPT centre with responsibility for the non-research aspects of its delivery – including industry partnerships, IP management and exploitation, communications and outreach and reporting
- With the (Academic) CEO, develop ADAPT national mandate by expanding the membership beyond the funding partners and enlarging the investigator cohort
- Operate an effective governance system – including acting as the Secretariat to the Governance Board, Chairing the Executive Committee, Managing the Executive Group and IP Committee and operational committees within the ADAPT Centre
- Develop and maintain strategic partnership with major stakeholders, including funding agencies, government bodies and senior management across the University
- Line management of staff within the Centre – including administrative, financial, project management, facilities, technical, commercialisation, business development and communications
- Financial management of the Centre including budgeting, planning and reporting
- Identify and support the exploitation of research commercialisation opportunities stemming from ADAPT research
- Support the (Academic) CEO in the identification and exploitation of new funding opportunities
- Implement an effective communications and outreach strategy for the Centre
- Drive the national digital technologies agenda and role of ADAPT within this agenda
- Represent ADAPT nationally and internationally – advocating for the Centre and its PIs
- Work with ADAPT PIs to ensure their research agendas are managed well and are delivering for the ADAPT programme and ensure the continuance and growth of Industry/ Academic research collaboration, industry funding and commercialisation activities
- Support the ADAPT (Academic) CEO in managing day-to-day relationships within the College, Schools, College offices and College operational committees
- Develop strategies for enabling the long-term sustainability of the Centre and delivering the ADAPT National and International mandate
- Work with necessary internal and university management and administrative teams to ensure the efficient operation of ADAPT
- Drive a culture for industry engagement and research impact across the Centre
Person Specification Qualifications
The Executive Director must have 12-15 years executive experience or equivalent. The Executive Director will hold Post-graduate qualification in business or equivalent experience. Technology background experience would be a distinct advantage; particularly with experience in one or more of the ADAPT research areas (e.g. AI, Information Retrieval, Personalisation, Digital Content Management, Natural Language Processing and Machine Translation).
Knowledge & Experience
The Executive Director:
- Have a proven track record (<12 years) of strategic planning for business development, sales, and/or marketing in a commercial ICT environment, ideally in an international context.
- Have firm knowledge and experience of the research function in the industry and academic sectors.
- Capable of developing a focused strategic vision for the commercialisation activities of the centre. Must be able to work with the Centre executive team in building a long- term vision for commercialisation in ADAPT.
- Proven experience in risk management regarding the attraction of industry funding across multiple industry partners over multiple years
- Proven experience of strategic relationship management, negotiation and closure of industry collaboration and commercial partnerships.
- Proven track record in sales excellence and strategic and operational sales management
- A willingness to innovate and implement change. Desirable:
- Proven track record of strategic financial management and investment decisions
- Experience in digital media innovation, AI technologies and AI-enabled product innovation
- An understanding and appreciation of the IP issues arising in the context of academic research and in particular computer software.
- Experience with digital transformation
Skills & Competencies
- Strong senior leadership skills
- Ability to influence individuals at senior levels including investors, business partners, and governmental officials such as Head of Trinity Research & Innovation, Provost/President, Dean of Research, SFI Director of research centres, C-Level industry officials, Director of Research in ICT in Enterprise Ireland, IDA country partners etc
- Strong analytical skills to assess sales and innovation pipelines and drive future planning
- Proven ability to successfully manage sales, commercialisation and innovation pipeline
- Ability to influence collaboration across academic and industry environments
- Proven ability to drive a culture for industry engagement and research impact
- Ability to represent the Centre internationally in research forums, industry and trade delegations and government agencies
- Ability to decide on appropriate actions, issue directives and monitor subsequent performance. Use dynamic and measured judgment where appropriate
- Excellent written and oral proficiency in English (essential)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal
- Should possess excellent computer skills, innovative ideas and solutions, flexibility and the ability to anticipate and provide solutions as they arise
- Excellent organiser, negotiator, with positive energy and accountability, strong customer focus, and high degree of resourcefulness
- Adaptive thinker with broad perspective
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development
- Excellent problem solving abilities
In order to assist the selection process, candidates should submit a Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter (1x A4 page) that specifically address a number of points including the following in their application
- Strong evidence of leading industry business development and commercial engagement
- Strong evidence of strategic leadership in research commercialisation and a comprehensive understanding of research and commercial collaboration between University and Industry.
Applicants who do not address the application requirements above in their cover letter will not be considered at the short list stage.
Applicants should note that the interview process for this appointment may include the delivery of a presentation and may include a test of practical skills.